A federal judge has ordered the U.S. Department of Education to stop the University Of Miami from hosting the commencement of its class of 2021 at its Miami campus.
U.S., Florida officials, and the university in a joint statement Wednesday announced the move after the Trump Administration withdrew its invitation to the graduation ceremony.
The university said the withdrawal was “not based on the facts, but rather based on a decision by the Administration to disregard the University’s commitment to free expression.”
The announcement came after President Donald Trump announced last week that the U of M would be canceling the commencement ceremony at its flagship campus.
The school has hosted commencement ceremonies at its campuses in Gainesville, Florida, and Tampa, Florida since 2002.
The announcement also came as the university’s president and the head of the university senate released a statement saying they would not participate in the event.
“The University of Florida will not be attending this year’s commencement,” the statement read.
“We have been committed to protecting our students’ right to express themselves and will continue to advocate for our students and their future.”
The school said it would work with local, state and federal authorities on what further steps could be taken to address the university, which is located about 25 miles (40 kilometers) from the Florida border.
The administration’s withdrawal of the invitation to 2018 commencement comes just days after it rescinded a permit for the U and U of A to hold commencement ceremonies in Miami, citing the Trump era’s anti-LGBT policies.
The university had said in March that the cancellation was based on public safety concerns.